You may have heard about the SoupStock event happening on October 21. Hopefully you’re thinking “200 kinds of soup, hell yah”. And you probably know the event is trying to raise awareness about the fight to stop the Highand’s companies proposed mega-quarry just 100 km northwest of Toronto.
Or perhaps you’ve seen “Stop the Megaquarry” signs but you don’t quite know the scope of what is being planned, in which case please take the time to watch this short video. It is eye-opening. It’s 6 minutes long and it is riveting as you realize what exactly the environmental impact will be. On us.
The Highland Companies proposes to blast a pit deeper than Niagara Falls from beneath a landscape of great agricultural and ecological importance.
Soupstock is being organized by the Toronto Chefs’ Congress and the David Suzuki Website (click to read more): Joining Chef Stadtlander are well-known culinary champions like Lynn Crawford, Jamie Kennedy, Brad Long and Donna Dooher. Up-and-coming chefs like Jon Pong of Hoof Raw Bar, Craig Harding of Campagnolo, and Calgary’s Connie DeSousa of Charcut, will also showcase their talents
THEY NEED VOLUNTEERS! (INCLUDING CHEFS TO MAKE SOUP!)
They are looking for volunteers to play multiple roles during the Soupstock event including:
- Helping chefs unload their equipment and supplies during the morning of the event
- Selling soup tickets and swag at visitor tables
- Cleaning up the park and ensuring everything is recycled properly
- Answering questions about the host organizations and the mega-quarry campaign
- Supporting speakers and musicians at the main stage
- Helping direct media questions
- Skills and Knowledge Required:
- Great people skills – friendly, professional and outgoing
- Energetic, enjoys working in a team
- Flexible, comfortable in fast-paced environments
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Strong interest in environmental issues and commitment to sustainability
- Must love soup!
8 hours during the Soupstock event on October 21 (approximately 9-5:00) and a 1 hr orientation on October 17 at 7pm.
An opportunity to try original soup recipes from some of Canada’s greatest chefs Morning coffee and muffins to energize you for the day
Soupstock volunteer t-shirt
Information about critical environmental issues in our province
The opportunity to be involved in the largest culinary protest Ontario has ever seen!
If you’d like to volunteer please email Aryne (email@example.com) describing yourself and your interest in supporting Soupstock.
4 responses to “Soupstock Needs Volunteers-and not just the soup-slurping types”
Sounds like a very good cause. Sorry we are so far away.CA
I’m super pumped about this event! Hey maybe we’ll actually meet in person there.
where will the orentation be at 7pm today?
best to email organizer email Aryne (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the details. Hope that helps.