When I say “family” I don’t mean this is some sort of East European treat– this I claim as my own though it is truly a Seaborn classic. I feel that I have eaten enough of them over 17 years to have some ownership.
We are going camping this weekend and I made a batch of these. The step-by-step is posted her at the foodnetwork.ca blog but here’s the basic recipe. Takes no time. You must make it. Trust me on this one. (and also– just go with the corn syrup and margarine, don’t screw with perfection.)
SWEET MARIE BARS
makes about 20-25
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tbsp. butter or margarine
2 cups Rice Krispies
1 cup salted peanuts
1 package real chocolate chips
- Heat peanut butter, sugar, corn syrup and butter over low heat until mixture starts to boil.
- Remove from heat and add Rice Krispies and peanuts. Mix well.
- Press into a greased 8- or 9-inch square pan.
- Cover with chocolate chips while hot. As chips melt (give it a couple minutes) spread over the top.
- Let cool until chocolate solidifies and cut into squares. If the chocolate is a little soft it’s ok, but if cut when still melted you will have quite a mess on your hands! (my mother-in law pops the pan into the freezer for 10-15 minutes to speed up the process)
One response to “The Family Sweet Marie Bar recipe (you will love me so much)”
So printing this recipe. Thank you for sharing.